Saturday, December 13, 2014

The Day I Met Rachelle

Day Nine

  So Ann and I headed with the others on a tricycle from the resort where we had the baptisms to a point we were meeting the others. We waited there for the others to all get there, by this time it was starting to get dark. As I looked around, I could see many very young looking girls with young children in their arms. A few came up to us and put their hand out asking for money. Ps John had told me early on when I first arrived, to be careful and to not give them money. Ate Lily who was with us, gave a few sets of people some money. I was trying my best to not look at them cos it was actually really sad. Until this one girl came up to me and put her hand out. She was very short, her hair was falling out and her teeth were rotten. I needed to help her so I asked her if she was hungry. She nodded and I walked over with her to the fruit stall nearby. I asked what her name was and she put her hand out and said Rachelle and asked for mine I asked her how old she was and she said she was 21. She certainly didn't look her age! She looked really pleased that I had brought her some food. Everyone was just getting ready to leave so I said goodbye to her, I couldn't help but think that this was a God moment and God wanted to do something. I felt sad as I saw her walking off, I watched her all the way. Then about 2-3 minutes later she came back again. She just stood leaning against a fence about 3M away and just stared at me for a few minutes. I wanted to go back over to me but everyone seemed to be about to leave. Just as we were going, she came right up to me, held out her hand and said thank you Laura. Just at that moment Anne called me to go. I felt compelled to do something yet we had to go. I don't think I will ever forget this girl, the desperation and sadness in her eyes made me curious about what had led her to be living her life like she was....




No comments:

Post a Comment