Monday, December 8, 2014

Fast Approaching Typhoon In Manila



 Day Four

My body clock keeps waking me up early haha so woke up at around 1030am NZ time which is 530am Philippine time! and couldn't get back to sleep.  So I sat downstairs and had a coffee and waited for everyone to wake up. When Ps. John woke up we had a chat about the plan for while I was here. First we talked about how God had led me here and then what my goals were for while I am here. I told them that I feel like God has been saying to just come here and to see what we will do. That he just wanted me to be obedient and to go where he has been leading me. They agreed and said that God does work like that and he just wants me to trust and he has the plan which is always far bigger than anything we could make up ourselves. They explained how I am a trail blazer and that no one else has yet spent an extended period of time in the Philippines on a mission trip.

 So we talked about what I would like to get involved with as well as what he would like me to do while I am here. So first and foremost I will be co-leading an outreach team with Kathleen that goes out onto the streets every week- fortnightly. We will also go up to "smokey mountain" which is a rubbish mountain where families live. Then will be working with Kathleen to organize the food and teams for the Christmas on the streets that the church will be doing on the 22nd from 9am- around 12pm. There will also be a feeding program on Christmas day for the "Under the Bridge community" Ps. John said that he will teach me how to personally evangelize, to win souls. I will also be getting involved in church life on Sunday by serving in any areas that I desire. I will be visiting different eGroups and helping where needed. They said that it would be most beneficial for me to be moving around each week, staying with different families in the church to experience the culture and people. I will also go and stay with ate Sharon who runs the children's garden, so i will get to sleep there with them all. I will also meet regularly with the care and connection leaders to work to fill in areas that they need help with and help to produce resources for them. It's awesome how I had internship in care and connection and I can now pass on all that I have been taught to other churches, very exciting! Ps. John and Nyles also mentioned that they will be going to the Provinces on the 14th of December for four days for Ps. Johns mums 70th birthday, it takes 10hours to get there. They asked if I would like to join them and they explained how it will be a good experience for me to visit that area of Manila. I said that I would like to join them, so we will leave this Sunday after the combined service where Ps. John will be preaching in the South Church. 



 




















After our chat we went to the supermarket to buy some groceries. I only had 700 pesos that I took with me and I ended up buying some coffee, bread, coconut jam, butter, soap, 6L of water, noodles, bananas, apples and some of those little yoghurt bottles for lining my stomach. When I got to the checkout, it ended up coming to 700.40 peso I didn't have the 0.40peso so she let me have it all for 700 peso which is $20 NZD!! pretty awesome price and thank you God for adding up my groceries to the right amount of $$ I had in my hand. When we got back we had to stay inside for the rest of the afternoon as the storm has started here, its raining outside. We are praying for no flooding and the storm to die down!! An alarm siren to remind people to prepare for the storm keeps going off every few hours. Ate Nyles made some traditional Filipino afternoon tea (merienda) which is fried crispy squid which you eat with chocolate rice pudding (champorado) to cancel out the sweetness. It was really delicious!!! Ps. John helped me to set up my blog on a site that he likes to use and before I knew it, it was time to go to bed! 

Goodnight all
xxxxxxxxxxxxx









No comments:

Post a Comment